Sunflowers are blooming again in Colorado as harvest time approaches for the farmers here in the state. It’s that time of year when the crops will produce their bounty and before long Fall will approach with the many beautiful colors filling the landscape.
This field here is actually in the north part of Denver and you would never know it, but it’s right across the street from a number of hotels and a diner. This is one of the largest fields I’ve seen in a couple of years. The Denver area had quite a bit of moisture and looks like it will benefit the sunflower crops this year.
The sunflowers here have pretty much grown to their maximum size and some were starting to wilt. This sunflower sunset was the end of a long day for these sunflowers. It appears that there will be some rest for the weary before they perk up again the next day.
There is another field further north of town. Stay tuned for more sunflower images coming soon.
- I use a Graduated Neutral Density filter to balance the brightness between the upper part of the image for this sunset. I tried to capture this image in a single exposure, but just didn’t have a dark enough graduated filter to the the job so I ended up creating a couple of images to make this image . I prefer Singh-Ray filters and use the Lee Filter Kit System to hold the filters in place, which is especially useful for long exposures. I prefer the Singh-Ray Filters because they don’t leave any unusual color casts like some of the cheaper competitors. They are worth the money.
- This image was a blend of two images. Even though my sunset was correct I felt I needed some more light on the sunflowers so I took a second image to expose the sunflowers with more light and blended the two images together using a layer mask.
- Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
- Lens: Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Autofocus Lens
- Filter: Singh-Ray 4×6″ Graduated Neutral Density (3-stop) Optical Resin Filter
- Filter Holder: LEE¤Filters Foundation Kit (Standard 4×4″, 4×6″ Filter Holder) (Requires Adapter Ring)
- Adapter Ring: LEE¤Filters Adapter Ring – 82mm – for Wide Angle Lenses
- ISO: 50
- Focal Length: 16 mm
- Aperture: f/16
- Shutter Speed: 0.8 & 1/5 sec.
- Post Processing: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Software For Mac, Nik Software Color Efex Pro 4